Juan Sanchez is the senior pastor of High Pointe Baptist Church in Austin, Texas. He is a council member of The Gospel Coalition and Coalicion por el Evangelio. He and his wife, Jeanine, have five children.
Quotes from The Leadership Formula
1. The church, a congregation made up of both men and women, is to recognize as pastors only faithful men, who are able to teach and are set apart by the Holy Spirit (Acts 20:28; Titus 1:5-9). (Pg. 17)
2. Because of sinfully distorted leadership, many people in our world, in our churches, and even in our homes have an inherently skeptical and negative view of leadership and authority. (Pg. 28)
3. If we’re not careful, we may be tempted to institute worldly models of leadership in the church. But the church is led neither by chief executive officers nor presidents, committees nor mass rule; it is led by godly, humble pastors. (Pg. 37)
4. Equipping future leaders should be an ongoing practice. (Pg. 59)
5. The Christian leader must not abdicate his responsibilities to lead through passivity, nor lead abusively through tyranny; he must lead by example, and that example begins at home. (Pg. 74)
6. When we understand that we are mere stewards caring for God’s sheep, we will be sure to account for every single one of them. (Pg. 97)
7. If we are to develop future leaders to continue caring for God’s flock long after we’re gone, then we must commit the gospel to faithful men, identifying them for training, equipping them for ministry, and affirming their ministry. (Pg. 110)
8. Expositional preaching lays that foundation for all ministry in the church. (Pg. 124)
9. If we don’t guard our own souls, we too are liable not only to disqualify ourselves, but even to shipwreck our faith. (Pg. 142)
10. As shepherds, a primary image informing eldership, the leaders of the church are to be faithful men who are able to teach others also. And as in the home (Deut. 6:1-9), the leaders of the church are to pass on the faith to qualified men who will continue to raise up the next generations of leaders until Christ returns. (Pg. 179)
To purchase a copy of The Leadership Formula, click here. I recommend this book to all pastor and elders.
Here is Juan’s plenary session from the 2021 Pillar Unite Conference – https://vimeo.com/637887576
Evan Knies is an elder of North Hills Church in West Monroe, LA. He is husband of Lauren and father to Maesyn. He is a graduate of Boyce College and Southern Seminary.