John Piper is the founder and lead teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. He served at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and is the author of more than 50 books.
Check out John Piper’s Preaching Class here.
Quotes from The Supremacy of God in Preaching.
1. If the goal of preaching is to glorify God, it must aim at glad submission to his kingdom, not raw submission. (pg. 32)
2. Without the cross, preaching that aims to glorify a righteous God in the gladness of sinful man has no validity. (pg. 40)
3. Where the Bible is esteemed as the inspired and inerrant Word of God, preaching can flourish. But where the Bible is treated as a record of valuable religious insight, preaching dies. (pg. 48)
4. Gravity in preaching is appropriate because preaching is God’s appointed means for the conversion of sinners, the awakening of the church, and the preservation of the saints. (pg. 62)
5. Preaching is a means of grace to assist the saints to persevere. (pg. 85)
6. Pleading with our listeners to make a response to our preaching is not at odds with a high doctrine of the sovereignty of God. (pg. 99)
7. The goal of preaching is utterly dependent on the mercy of God for its fulfillment. Therefore, the preacher must labor to put his preaching under divine influence by prayer. (pg. 103)
8. Good preaching is born of good praying. (pg. 104)
9. Corporate worship is the great overflow of life together in treasuring Christ. (pg. 138)
10. People are starving for the grandeur of God. (pg. 151)
We only get one life and it will soon pass. Only what is done for Christ will last!
Evan Knies is an elder of North Hills Church in West Monroe, LA. He is the husband of Lauren and father to Maesyn. He is a graduate of Boyce College and Southern Seminary.