Steve Lawson is president of OnePassion Ministries, a ministry designed to bring about biblical reformation in the church today by teaching and preaching the word of God and training others to do likewise. Lawson is the professor of preaching at The Master’s Seminary, where he is also dean of the doctor of ministry program and serves on the board of directors. He is author of over 30 books and serves a teaching fellow and board member of Ligonier Ministries. To purchase a hardback copy from Reformation Heritage, click here.
Quotes from Called to Preach
1. Biblical preaching is the vibrant heartbeat that pumps spiritual life into the body of Christ. (pg. 10)
2. Those in the church who hear you teach the word are often the most helpful aids in discerning whether you are called to preach. (pg. 25)
3. Expository preaching is intended to reveal the hideousness of sin for what it is: cosmic treason against divine sovereignty. (pg. 43)
4. The message of every preacher is to declare the kingship of God over every soul. (pg. 57)
5. Authentic Christianity is a heart religion that, in turn, produces a change in actions. (pg. 105-106)
6. If God is to be exalted from the pulpit, the preacher must assume a lowly posture in the pulpit. (pg. 119)
7. Effective is the preacher who can explain profound truth in a simple way. (pg. 122)
8. Preaching should be like a trumpet blast that sounds an awakening alarm. (pg. 151)
9. A fire in the pulpit begins with you catching fire in the Bible. (pg. 173)
10. Every preacher must be immersed in the whole Bible until it permeates their entire being. (pg. 180)
Evan Knies is an elder of North Hills Church in West Monroe, LA. He is husband of Lauren and father to Maesyn. He is a graduate of Boyce College and Southern Seminary.